Freshen Up Your Home or Office with These Spring Cleaning Tips
April 3rd, 2022
Many people walk into January 1 with a sense of excitement and eagerness to start new ventures. There’s something about the beginning of a whole, new year that feels invigorating. However, by April 1, many people are starting to lose their enthusiasm.
Routines are set, obligations are plentiful and time is often spent on things that may not feel…worth it. How can you combat the fading joy of the new year? By spring cleaning, of course! Not the suggestion you were expecting? Well, hear us out.
Research suggests that a clean and tidy living space can actually create a greater sense of calm and promote concentration. So, we’ve compiled our favorite spring cleaning tips to help get you started on your way to becoming a happier, healthier, reenergized you.
1. Declutter Your Home Chances are, you may have done some decluttering at the beginning of the year at the same time you were putting away Christmas decorations. Now’s the time for another quick sweep. Getting rid of things you don’t need or use will make the cleaning process quicker and easier. Not sure what to do with some of your items? Check out our previous blog post on how renting a storage unit can help you declutter your life.
2. Gather the Right Cleaning Supplies One of the best (yet most simple) spring cleaning tips we can give you is to have the right cleaning supplies on hand. Like any task, having the right tools and supplies makes the whole process more enjoyable. So, out with the old and in with the new when it comes to expired cleaning products and old tools that need replacing (think toilet bowl brushes and sponges).
You might want to think about investing in items that will maximize your time and incentivize you to keep your home clean moving forward. Things like a good vacuum and mop (or maybe even an all-in-one wet dry vacuum cleaner) can make labor-heavy jobs a lot easier and quite a bit faster.
Don’t forget to have all the basics on hand: paper towels, the right cleaning products for your various surfaces, sponges, scrub brushes, microfiber rags and towels. And, you don’t have to be too fancy… an old T-shirt makes for a great rag that won’t leave streaks or lint behind. Plus, simple ingredients like lemon, vinegar, water, dish soap, and baking soda can make some of the best solutions. Just look up homemade cleaning solutions on Google, Instagram or Pinterest, and you might be surprised! If you go this route, don’t forget to have a couple spray bottles on hand for your homemade solutions.
3. Make a Comprehensive List (Or Google One) Create a list of everything that needs to be cleaned, and since we are talking specifically about spring cleaning tips, let’s be ambitious. We’re going beyond the normal cleaning routine and getting to the things that don't get touched on a regular basis.
One way to start your spring cleaning list is to go through each room and write down everything you wish was clean. If you’re not really sure where to start or don’t want to miss anything, Google it! You’ll be shocked to see all the checklist templates out there, and there are plenty for spring cleaning tips. But, to get you started on the right foot, here are a few ideas:
- Wall frames
- Light switches
- Doormats and rugs
- Windows and window sills
- Fireplaces and chimneys
- Dust top of high surfaces
- Kids’ toys
- Organize your garage
4. Take Your Time While it’s nice to have your entire home cleaned at once, digging into some of these items can be a bit of an undertaking. Now that you have your list, consider checking off one or two things a day (or weekend) until you get through them all.
We know the beginning of the year is long gone, but we hope these spring cleaning tips will jumpstart your energy and create focus once again. Because, who doesn’t love a fresh start?