Self Storage Unit: What do you need?
August 16th, 2021
What season of life is prompting you to search for a self storage unit? Whether you’re downsizing, storing business inventory, remodeling your home, or moving, you need to think intentionally about your plans and needs for the duration of the time your property will be in storage.
We want you to have the best possible storage rental experience. That’s why we’ve answered a few questions below that will help you determine what you need and why.
What Size Storage Unit do I Need?
We all have that room (or two!) in our houses that’s overflowing with unused clothing, appliances, furniture, tools, and/or memorabilia. Items are scattered, falling over, heaped in a corner and stacked over and under everything.
You might be tempted to think that in order to store everything in that room, you need a self storage unit that’s roughly the same size as that room. In fact, you might only need a storage unit half the size of that room, or even smaller.
See, when items aren’t stored neatly, they take up more room than necessary. That’s why it’s important to learn a few tips for maximizing your storage space.
- Break down large items such as bed frames and tables to save space. Keep all parts (such as screws and small hardware) together by placing them in a plastic bag and taping them to the item.
- To save space, fill interiors of appliances with lightweight items such as linens, clothes and stuffed toys.
- Boxes can be stacked on top of refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers and dryers.
- Stand mattresses and sofas on end (except for sofa beds).
- Store lightweight, miscellaneous items in dresser drawers.
- Use blankets, sweaters and towels as padding for fragile items.
- Heavy items like books or tools should be packed in small boxes so they are easy to lift.
- Place frequently used goods near the door.
- Leave a center aisle for easy access to all items.
Once you’ve implemented the tips above, you’re ready to use our sizing calculator to make sure you’re not renting a larger self storage unit than you need.
How do I Secure my Self Storage Unit?
As you consider your choices for renting a self storage unit, take into consideration the equipment and processes your company has to surveil the property.
At Alamo, our properties are fenced and gated. Our managers live on the property, and have the ability to watch and review footage from video surveillance cameras throughout the property.
There are no fail-safe security measures that will thwart every type of threat. That’s why it’s the responsibility of every renter to purchase rental insurance to protect their belongings.
In addition, renters are required to provide their own lock, and they alone hold the keys to their lock. Locks are available for purchase at Alamo Mini-Storage locations, or you can purchase a lock from an online or brick-and-mortar retailer. A number of websites review the best locks for self storage units so that you can make an informed decision.
When Do I Need a Climate-Controlled Self Storage Unit?
For many short-term storage unit renters, a climate controlled, or temperature-controlled, self storage unit isn’t necessary. As you consider your storage rental options, think through what items could possibly be damaged if they aren’t in a temperature-controlled environment.
A few questions to ask yourself when considering a temperature-controlled unit are:
- Can the item get mold or mildew?
- Can it warp, crack, deteriorate, or become discolored from exposure to moisture?
- Would high heat cause the materials to expand or contract?
- Are the belongings designed to be stored at a certain temperature (for example, wine or artwork)?
- Are the items rare, sentimental, and/or valuable?
Not everyone who rents a self storage unit needs climate control, so weigh your decision against how long your items will be in storage, and the answers to the questions listed above.
Why Choose an Alamo Mini-Storage Self Storage Unit?
At Alamo Mini-Storage, people come first. We’re interested in helping you fulfill your storage needs with the correctly sized storage unit. We’ll help you determine what size you need, and what amenities—like temperature-control—your belongings might require.
We keep our facilities clean and functional as a reflection of the respect and honor we have toward our customers and ourselves.
There’s a reason you need storage—there’s a reason you came to Alamo. We’re committed to serving you with genuine Texas
hospitality, fairness, and respect.
Visit our self storage unit calculator to help you determine how much space you need to efficiently store your belongings.